Work on Vampire Hunter

Discussion of the game 'Vampire Hunter'.

Created by Jesse_James
Tonex

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Tonex » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Hello people, this is my first real post here, and I have been reading the forum for quite a while. Something I don't understand is why you guys are always working on Werewolf Transylvania, but never on this game (not to mention ERaR Outbreak, but from what I understand, it's not very developed). This game is also very fun, and has the potential to be as good or even better than Werewolf Transylvania. All it needs is a little work, then some testing, bug fixes, then BOOM it's as good as any other game out there. Werewolf itself is pretty stable, so you should start working on Vampire for a change. For example, you should set the Villagers/Woman/Children to fight back, then run away when at relatively low health. Also, you should set the priority of the keep to the same as heroes, or else the dark team AI will always just target the respawning light heroes, rather than the keep, which can be higher priority if at medium to low health. Another thing is that the keep not only heals nearby allied units, but also heals enemy units. Additionally, the trees on the map should be made invulnerable, as when a bunch of them get knocked down, by (I think) Mortar Teams and Siege Engines, the Ancient Druid loses trees for his ultimate ability. These are all that I can think of now, as I have not played enough games for more info.

Update:
More imbalance. The Zombie King's spawn zombies on death skill sucks, as there have been many games where I have never died. Also the spawn extra zombie skill also sucks because the zombies are too weak. Preferably, the spawn extra zombie skill would summon a stronger unit. Also, the Fleshy Mound's ultimate ability is too over powered because he can gain continually gain damage and health. Thus, the Zombie King becomes invincible in the late game. Next, Sacrifice #332's Desecrate Land skill is also too powerful. Basically, by level 8, you can easily seriously wound a level 25. For the Ghoul, the decrease armor ability doesn't work (this is so easy, just set Endurance Aura armor bonus to negative and set targets allowed to enemy), nor the healing corpse ability. Also, the consume ability on the Klynx gloves doesn't work. For the Light team, the Ancient Druid's entangle every few seconds ability doesn't work either (this also seems easy, just set Bash chance to 1.00/100% and give it whatever cooldown it needs).

Update 2:
Some random bugs. Sometimes when a player on the dark team leaves, his character is not removed from the game. When this happens, the dead player's defenseless hero can be killed, reducing the number of kills the Light team has to make in order to win. Another glitch is that the game freezes if the Zombie King has the Harvest Parts ability and kills a hero (best solution is to remove the Harvest Parts ability, as it is bugged and imbalanced). Also, the Zombie King can cast Devour on the Pumpkin King, allowing him to hog the kill, but not receive the item (incidentally, I also discovered that the Pumpkin King's icon is a peasant, so you might want to change that).
Last edited by Tonex on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain_Thys

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Captain_Thys » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:36 am

well. i asked the same and Jesse said, that he didn't got enough attention for the game. or something like that.
Tonex

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Tonex » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:16 am

Lol there must have been a time when Werewolf must not have had much attention, but now it's here and gets played all the time. In fact, right now, I'm waiting for a game of Vampire to start.
Captain_Thys

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Captain_Thys » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:32 am

i hosted it myself a few times... but i couldn't play because nobody joined..., and i have the patience of a squirel.
Last edited by Captain_Thys on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luff

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Luff » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:35 am

I have played 5 times with other ppl. They left because i had trained my skills with a friend 2v0 many times xd
Tonex

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Tonex » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Lol well it's still being hosted, and quite a few people play, though at like 3 to 6 a.m. eastern time.
B2zeldafreak

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby B2zeldafreak » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Didn't read your post yet, but the Clan_VoF bot has been hosting it the past few days, and it's been doing surprisingly well. The reason that Werewolf gets worked on a ton is because that one has been immensely more popular than Vampire Hunters. Werewolf at one point was trending as the 5th most hosted map in Warcraft 3. Vampire Hunters rarely gets hosted by anyone outside Clan VoF and this forum.

I personally love Vampire Hunters, and think its one of the most fun games in Warcraft 3. If Jesse had made it a year or two earlier when Warcraft 3 had a bigger player base, I think it would be much more popular than it is right now.
Last edited by B2zeldafreak on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slayer4000X2008

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Slayer4000X2008 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Vampire Hunter isn't worked on much do to the lack of community support for it. If you guys show some support for it then it will likely be updated.
Tonex

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Tonex » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:55 pm

We should petition to Jesse_James to continue working on it.
Steaks

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Steaks » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Jesse is too lazy to work on anything.
Tonex

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Tonex » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:30 pm

Aw...
B2zeldafreak

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby B2zeldafreak » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:59 pm

I'll start an official suggestions thread here in a bit.
Tonex

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Tonex » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Yay thanks.
Jesse James

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby Jesse James » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:25 am

As it has been explained the reason VH has received very little attention from me is because it has received very little attention from the community. Compare the content of this forum to WWT. 15 topics to 200 topics, and that doesn't even count the dozens of obsolete threads in the WWT forum that we delete with each new version.

Outside of the realm of audience participation there are two major problems that deter me from working on VH. The first is a peculiar bug with glitched tooltips on buffs. The second is an overwhelming need for a shift in gameplay to balance out and improve the quality of the game.

The first problem has eluded me for some time.. until recently.. I encountered the same error while working on WWT and through a stroke of luck discovered that the "Dummy" buffs i often use create an internal error and assume the same characteristics of another existing buff. This is entirely untested in the VH department but i assume that creating proper buffs with tooltips would remedy this.

The second problem would require a redesign of the map. I don't know if many of you have extensive experience with mapping but it can be a very tricky and time consuming task to dramatically alter existing terrain. Through playing the game, and through listening to what very little feedback the community has had to offer it would seem that a larger map would greatly improve the game. However, enlarging the map presents its own sets of problems that must be addressed... With a larger map it makes it easier for vampires to elude capture.. A larger map completely offsets the current gameplay. While it is possible to anticipate and minimize dramatic disparities it goes without saying that it is not easy to do. I expanded the terrain in the latest version, the terrain has been the same since 2005. This presented alot of opportunity for things to weigh in the favor of the wolf or villagers, so i hashed out balances with the other VoF staff over a great period of time. Time i can't be asked to spend on a map that would not be worthwhile.

However, it does boil down to motivation. Everyone is happy to throw in their idea's and be part of the creative process, but when it comes down to it all the heavy lifting is my responsibility alone. It can be a daunting task sitting down for 5, maybe 10 hours a day creating, testing and fixing things, sometimes spending several hours on one very small feature of the game that most people take entirely for granted. Finding the motivation for me is often hinged on how excited and enthusiastic the community is for a project. The more people interested and willing to contribute the more excited I get about it and the more fervently I work on it. After all, the only reason I do any of this is because I receive a great sense of satisfaction being able to bring enjoyment to loyal fans. It's not like I get paid for my efforts. -_- I suppose you could call me an unpayed, unacknowledged blizzard intern.
B2zeldafreak

Work on Vampire Hunter

Postby B2zeldafreak » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:39 am

I will make Vampire Hunters popular on Warcraft 3.

As far as the other part of your post, I'm not ready to respond to that yet :P