[Confirmed]:That Stupid Spear Glitch

Please report any errors, bugs, exploits or glitches here.
Dylan1473

Postby Dylan1473 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:54 pm

I think I may have reported this before a very long time ago, but it still occurs. This is a weird one.

1. I guess I'd call this a glitch.

2. Hunters may switch to their sword constantly while fighting animals but only under the following circumstances:
  • They are red
  • They are near red
3. This glitch is very simple to replicate - just try to hunt while playing as red or in red's general vicinity. I haven't tested this extensively but as far as I can tell it always happens. I don't know the exact distance but it's not too far, getting out of sight and walking a few seconds is generally enough.

4. This has been here forever - since before last I came to these forums, I don't know exactly how long ago. It has existed ever since the forced switching to sword behaviour was removed (with the exception of this glitch, of course).
Last edited by Dylan1473 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse James

Postby Jesse James » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:35 pm

I can't get this to duplicate, could you explain it more precisely?
Dylan1473

Postby Dylan1473 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:23 am

Really? I've had it happen to me literally every game I've played as red. Play as red and hunt. You'll notice your guy switches to his sword a lot while fighting animals. It's a little trickier to test being near red for obvious reasons and honestly I'm not sure it happens 100% of the time. It's happened every time I've noticed I'm near red, but I tend only to notice that when this happens so for all I know it happens only a small proportion of the time. I'm waiting in the lobby for a game even as I type this, so I'll post back in a bit. I've also, on very rare occasions, noticed this happen to others near both me and red, but I can't verify that for this version.

The only more specific instruction I could offer is to make sure animals get close to you while you're hunting. The villager only switches to his sword if animals are close. I assume it's a leftover from when you were meant to melee animals at close range. This should become pretty apparent if you use lures while hunting since animals will automatically attempt to come close to you.

EDIT: It's definitely still here. I just played a game as red and was forced to switch to sword any time an animal came too close. Haven't tested yet whether it applies to players CLOSE to red still, but I would assume so since it otherwise is not different from the glitch as it used to exist.

EDIT AGAIN: Played another game as red today and managed to confirm that not only does this glitch in fact affect those near red, but affects those near red even while red is in wolf form.
Last edited by Dylan1473 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maddeem

Postby maddeem » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 am

Get some replays?
Tonex

Postby Tonex » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:05 am

Here's an image...
Luff

Postby Luff » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Thats epic.
Dylan1473

Postby Dylan1473 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:11 pm

I actually have a brief video of red causing me to switch to my sword while he's nearby then me using spears fine when he leaves, but I'm having some problems getting it into a format I can easily post online. I record my screen and save the video, but then it plays back at a totally absurd speed so it's nearly impossible to tell what's happening. If you really need the video say so, but I've pretty much lost patience with it at this point. This glitch should be really easy to test though.
Jesse James

Postby Jesse James » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 am

I see nothing wrong with the screen shot. You are using a sword at melee range... Whats the problem?
Tonex

Postby Tonex » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Idk. I just got a screenshot that seemed to pertain to this topic
Dylan1473

Postby Dylan1473 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:59 pm

The problem is that it's not supposed to happen while hunting (or if it is, you have an even bigger problem, since players who are not red and are outside of red's vicinity don't have this occur). I'll try and get the video working so it's a bit clearer what I mean - it's very apparent that the use-sword-at-melee thing only takes effect when red comes nearby, and then stops when he leaves.

EDIT: The video is up on youtube and I'm just waiting for some minor edits/annotations to be processed, then I'll link it here.
Last edited by Dylan1473 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan1473

Postby Dylan1473 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:26 pm

abextadoo

Postby abextadoo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Still can't see why the fuck drawning your sword, red or not, should be a bug... Oo (stop smokin dude! d=)
Jesse James

Re: [Confirmed]:That Stupid Spear Glitch

Postby Jesse James » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:31 am

I can't make this happen in the most reasons versions, can anyone confirm it happens still? It looks like the video was from 1.23 (which is very outdated) and we may have already fixed this.
Wolfslayer

Re: [Confirmed]:That Stupid Spear Glitch

Postby Wolfslayer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:32 pm

That happened to me also in 1.25 version.Sometimes I think that host when is werewolf does that to don t let villager lvl up.I know it s strange but that s my opinion.Plz fix it in 1.26.I m bored of this