Summary of the things I'd like to see on version 1.26

Post and discuss your suggestions for future Werewolf versions here.
abextadoo

Summary of the things I'd like to see on version 1.26

Postby abextadoo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:13 am

I shall put only the most important ones here, and most of them you already know, so It's just to remember.. they are in importance order, that means the first is the most important and the last is of lesser importance.

1 - Trebuchet: I believe this tool is the key to attack bunker bases. Reducing the lumber cost to aquire one (come on 650 lumber is an EXTREMELY abusive price!, 300 or 200 is much more fair. Think about it: It's necessary that you kill around 6 buildings to compensate the current price of the trebuchet. I know this item is new, you are testing it and all, but its working on the game and he is necessary to attack villagers bases) increasing its attack is also necessary because enemy villagers repair they buildings/walls you are attacking, and unless you buy more than 1 trebuchet, destroying walls and enemy buildings becomes real hard when the enemy keeps reparing it and the trebuchet deals minor damage... a nice suggestion to prevent villager & son from repairing buildings that are under attack by trebuchet would be adding the warcraft 3 batrider unit "Liquid Fire" ability to the attacks.

2 - Cheese is a rigged source of hp. Change it for (brewed item) bread (chicken eggs + wheat).

3 - Werewolf should get MAGIC IMUNE at LEVEL 25. He shouldn't be stopped by childish strategies like fish net or nova and the way to solve that, in my opinion is giving the werewolf magic immune at level 25. It's fair, the werewolf made (a REAL) hard work in staying alive all this time to get to level 25. He deserves to own the game at level 25 (at night, against villagers & zombies), in my opinion.

4 - Death Bell life steal aura is too overpowered. I don't know if you ever made some tests on it but take as an example a 1x1 combat between a villager with the death bell (I'll call him Arthas) and another villager without the death bell (I'll call him Bob). The way it is currently set, if they are on level 25, Bob can't even scratch Arthas and I believe its an overpowered advantage (obviously Arthas should win the combat, but come on, Bob not being able to deal any significant damage to Arthas isn't A BIT TOO MUCH!?)

5 - Fisher/Miner/Hunting as game start careers: I believe the way the game is set it should work the following way:

- Fishing should give the best income per time, but few experience.

- Mining should give nearly the same amount of gold of hunting, few experience, and the ability to trade its iron ore for special abilities, in a way that a combat between a solo hunter x miner should be a tough battle (even with lesser level, his special abilities should be good enough to compensate it) but the miner should win, since the hunter is faster and can flee from him.

- Solo hunting is the best career (in my opinion) the way the game is right now, since you are able to craft powerful itens like horn of Valhalla, boots of the wolf, stag skin drum, it gives nearly the same amount of gold of fishing and its the best carreer to get experience.
I think this carreer is overpowered the way the game is right now...
Giving a bit more xp for the miner & fisher, making fishing profit more then the others (a suggestion to do this would be making "anglers hat" increase the chances of getting a fish of bigger size) sounds not only fair but necessary in my opinion.

6 - (Mutated) Timber and Oberon should deal bonus damage on buildings and take reduced damage from ranged. Its a fair advantage for a boss minion.

7 - In strategies games melee units are always a bit more powerful then ranged units. I will take as example the game StarCraft BroodWar, which I used to be a map maker:

If you make a combat between 1 marine (50 ore, terran ranged unit) and 1 zergling (25 ore zerg melee unit), the zergling wins.

Sounds unfair eh? but now lets change the battle scenario and increase the armies a bit, lets say you now have 10 marines (500 ore) fighting 20 zerglings (500 ore) in a narrow space (example a bridge).
Guess what will happen right in front of your eyes? The marines will win! and if they have stim packs ability, the zerglings will not even scratch them...
wtf happened with my zergling army?, you are wondering now.. well what is happening here is called "ranged units attack advantage".

In the bridge battle, if you are intelligent and your marines are very close to each other, all marines are attacking, while only 1 or 3 zerglings are attacking at a time. That means when battle increases the armies, the ranged units have "attack advantage". In other words you have a lot of zerglings "waiting" to attack while ALL the marines are attacking and being useful on the bridge.

A way to make the melee units a bit more useful in combat is to give it more speed (in our example you will research metabolic boost for your zerglings) in a way it can begin to attack sooner and avoid a bit this natural advantage ranged units have.

Ranged units have also another advantages on their pockets: Suppose you are a good (inteligent) Starcraft player and is on a tough battle between 12 zealots (enemy) and 8 dragoons (you).
The first command you will issue your dragoons is to FOCUS their attack on a single zealot, and the lucky one is the closest zealot to your goons. You will also try to hit and run as much as you can, since it's a dumb idea to stand still on reload time against melee units.
And finally the most important thing of all: When one of your dragoons start to run low on hp you will try to put it on the rear of the troop in a way it attack and don't take any more damage...
if you are very fast on using the mouse, you can manage to kill all the zealots losing only 1 or 2 dragons (that's of course, if the zealots don't have the legs upgrade)
For those who don't know Starcraft Broodwar, zealot is a very strong melee unit and in a 1x1 combat between a zealot and a dragoon (standing still), the dragon wins nearly dead.

And finally, ranged units have another nice advantage: they can attack behind trenches like walls, gates or trees.

Okay, melee units should be a bit stronger then ranged, anything else? Yes. If you don't want that gay hit and run strategy on your game you should make your melee units faster then the ranged units (or an upgrade for them that does that).

Also I want to again try to put in your head that in ALL strategy games that I've played in my life (Age of Empires, Age of Mitology, Age of the Conquerous)
Cavalary beats ranged
Ranged beats footman
Footman beats cavalary

Don't mess with a formula that all gamers have solid in their heads, that will only confuse noobs...
Last edited by abextadoo on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
abextadoo

Re: Summary of the things I'd like to see on version 1.26

Postby abextadoo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:14 am

8 - Take off auto prowl.
Question: Why?
Answer: Suppose you are a werewolf player and that you are attacking an enemy villager's Strong base. You are taking damage, but manage to destroy the entrance walls and break in his base, starting to kill some of his units.
Now if you are a noob (or dumb) player and researched prowl only at level 1 or 2 you will face a serious problem: You are now running low on hp, and needs to escape from the enemy's base as fast as you can, since he has a torch/lanterns on his base, something very common among villagers.
Guess what will happen right now? Yes! you will get FUCKED by your own spell, by a thing called "auto prowl" it will turn on without your control when your hp goes red and will cripple your speed, making you get killed.

That's why when I'm werewolf I never upgrade prowl, I max all the others and only when I'm on a level that I can max the prowl (making it not cripple my speed) I upgrade it.

I'll use the subject to say that the werewolf player reminds me a lot of a (StarCraft) BroodWar Mod called "Cat and Mouse".
In this game there was usually 7 mice against 1 cat or 6 mice against 2 cats
There was a very serious problem (fun destroying) on this games: In most of them the game is rigged (overpowered) for the mice.
In some cases the balancement problem was so serious that the basic fun the game provided the players was to mock the cats and then sometime, when the mice got tired of pissing/mocking/joking/playing dumb with the cat(s) they finally decided to kill him and end the game.
In other words the game was reduced to a child level of fun and entertainment where even a moron mouse could win the game against the cat.
As you may guess right now, NO ONE wanted to be cat on this games, and on most times they had to random an unfortunate idiot to get be the clown player (cat).

What do you want me to learn from this game?
Ans.: When a player has a lonely game to play against a lot of other players (in werewolf case against all players) you MUST pay VERY special care to balance things out in a way it doesn't get unfair for him, else he will not find your game fun, and will leave.

In my personal opinion WWT is unfair for the wolf, and I'll try to convince you of this right now..
He is indeed a strong unit, but he should get stronger and stronger as the game passes in a way that buying time should be an advantage for the wolf, and the way the game is right now this is not true.

When villagers team up and bunker base it gets even tougher to kill them. Consider one of the worst scenario ever possible on the game: A 4 player base together. The werewolf can't stand a chance to attack that.

The werewolf villager's level is normally a lot lower from other villagers on late game (since he don't have the night time), and that sells him out easily.

Even if you win and break into an enemy's villager base he still has some abilities against you like fish net or dive underwater. I don't believe this abilities are unfair the way they are right now, but this is also one example of an advantage the villager has against the werewolf.

And finally there are always those zombie suckers around to bother you, and if you are a noob werewolf or very unluck to find a team of zombies or 2 or more of them in a row you will have a hard time to stay alive.

Some ideas I could give you to make the werewolf stronger are:
- his villager could earn experience if you kill an unit while under werewolf form.
- his villager could earn gold if you kill an animal while under werewolf form.
- his werewolf could earn bonus speed if the villager has boots of the wolf &/or horn of Valhalla.
Jesse James

Postby Jesse James » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:32 pm

1 - Trebuchet: I believe this tool is the key to attack bunker bases. Reducing the lumber cost to aquire one (come on 650 lumber is an EXTREMELY abusive price!, 300 or 200 is much more fair. Think about it: It's necessary that you kill around 6 buildings to compensate the current price of the trebuchet. I know this item is new, you are testing it and all, but its working on the game and he is necessary to attack villagers bases) increasing its attack is also necessary because enemy villagers repair they buildings/walls you are attacking, and unless you buy more than 1 trebuchet, destroying walls and enemy buildings becomes real hard when the enemy keeps reparing it and the trebuchet deals minor damage... a nice suggestion to prevent villager & son from repairing buildings that are under attack by trebuchet would be adding the warcraft 3 batrider unit "Liquid Fire" ability to the attacks.

I agree, the trebuchet is a new item and it needs balancing. It's better to start out with something nobody will use over something everyone will abuse. It will slowly be adjusted to make it functional. It's a good point that the rate of fire versus "repair" is an issue though. Thanks for pointing that out. :mrgreen:

2 - Cheese is a rigged source of hp. Change it for (brewed item) bread (chicken eggs + wheat).
Though cheese may not be "removed" it may be adjusted. I like the idea of bread and it makes sense to add such an item.

3 - Werewolf should get MAGIC IMUNE at LEVEL 25. He shouldn't be stopped by childish strategies like fish net or nova and the way to solve that, in my opinion is giving the werewolf magic immune at level 25. It's fair, the werewolf made (a REAL) hard work in staying alive all this time to get to level 25. He deserves to own the game at level 25 (at night, against villagers & zombies), in my opinion.
I'm not overly fond of giving the werewolf total magic immunity, however we could give him an ability that will block a spell every X seconds which would give him some protection as well as strategic vulnerability.

4 - Death Bell life steal aura is too overpowered. I don't know if you ever made some tests on it but take as an example a 1x1 combat between a villager with the death bell (I'll call him Arthas) and another villager without the death bell (I'll call him Bob). The way it is currently set, if they are on level 25, Bob can't even scratch Arthas and I believe its an overpowered advantage (obviously Arthas should win the combat, but come on, Bob not being able to deal any significant damage to Arthas isn't A BIT TOO MUCH!?)
Physical combat isn't how the villager was designed. He has access to throwing knives, healing items, djinn and more that create different styles of play which can entirely inert the death bells. However, It has been a continued mission for years now to slowly "phase out" the effects of easter eggs because I honestly believe there is no place in a PVP game for such unfair advantages. I'll be sure to take a look at the death bells leech and reduce it by a factor that will nerf it without aggravating the community. 8)

5 - Fisher/Miner/Hunting as game start careers: I believe the way the game is set it should work the following way:

- Mining should give nearly the same amount of gold of hunting, few experience, and the ability to trade its iron ore for special abilities, in a way that a combat between a solo hunter x miner should be a tough battle (even with lesser level, his special abilities should be good enough to compensate it) but the miner should win, since the hunter is faster and can flee from him.

- Solo hunting is the best career (in my opinion) the way the game is right now, since you are able to craft powerful itens like horn of Valhalla, boots of the wolf, stag skin drum, it gives nearly the same amount of gold of fishing and its the best carreer to get experience.
Giving a bit more xp for the miner & fisher, making fishing profit more then the others (a suggestion to do this would be making "anglers hat" increase the chances of getting a fish of bigger size) sounds not only fair but necessary in my opinion.

Fishing Hunting and Farming are considered "Primary" incomes and should all be equivalent in their function. EXP, Gold and item advantages should be balanced between the three. The other careers are specific to a purpose. Brewing, Mining, Crafting, Merchant etc.. These are all intended to create specific goals and are not necessarily there to match the primary 3 in exp or gold gain.

6 - (Mutated) Timber and Oberon should deal bonus damage on buildings and take reduced damage from ranged. Its a fair advantage for a boss minion.
I think after the unit re-design this will have to be re-evaluated and addressed. Too many changes make this too hard to predict how it will behave in the new regime.

7 - In strategies games melee units are always a bit more powerful then ranged units. I will take as example the game StarCraft BroodWar, which I used to be a map maker:

If you make a combat between 1 marine (50 ore, terran ranged unit) and 1 zergling (25 ore zerg melee unit), the zergling wins.

Sounds unfair eh? but now lets change the battle scenario and increase the armies a bit, lets say you now have 10 marines (500 ore) fighting 20 zerglings (500 ore) in a narrow space (example a bridge).
Guess what will happen right in front of your eyes? The marines will win! and if they have stim packs ability, the zerglings will not even scratch them...
wtf happened with my zergling army?, you are wondering now.. well what is happening here is called "ranged units attack advantage".

In the bridge battle, if you are intelligent and your marines are very close to each other, all marines are attacking, while only 1 or 3 zerglings are attacking at a time. That means when battle increases the armies, the ranged units have "attack advantage". In other words you have a lot of zerglings "waiting" to attack while ALL the marines are attacking and being useful on the bridge.

A way to make the melee units a bit more useful in combat is to give it more speed (in our example you will research metabolic boost for your zerglings) in a way it can begin to attack sooner and avoid a bit this natural advantage ranged units have.

Ranged units have also another advantages on their pockets: Suppose you are a good (inteligent) Starcraft player and is on a tough battle between 12 zealots (enemy) and 8 dragoons (you).
The first command you will issue your dragoons is to FOCUS their attack on a single zealot, and the lucky one is the closest zealot to your goons. You will also try to hit and run as much as you can, since it's a dumb idea to stand still on reload time against melee units.
And finally the most important thing of all: When one of your dragoons start to run low on hp you will try to put it on the rear of the troop in a way it attack and don't take any more damage...
if you are very fast on using the mouse, you can manage to kill all the zealots losing only 1 or 2 dragons (that's of course, if the zealots don't have the legs upgrade)
For those who don't know Starcraft Broodwar, zealot is a very strong melee unit and in a 1x1 combat between a zealot and a dragoon (standing still), the dragon wins nearly dead.

And finally, ranged units have another nice advantage: they can attack behind trenches like walls, gates or trees.

Okay, melee units should be a bit stronger then ranged, anything else? Yes. If you don't want that gay hit and run strategy on your game you should make your melee units faster then the ranged units (or an upgrade for them that does that).

Also I want to again try to put in your head that in ALL strategy games that I've played in my life (Age of Empires, Age of Mitology, Age of the Conquerous)
Cavalary beats ranged
Ranged beats footman
Footman beats cavalary

Don't mess with a formula that all gamers have solid in their heads, that will only confuse noobs...

The unit schema in age of empires is much more complicated than you suggest and footman should rarely beat calvary. In true combat a standing army without cavalry will almost always lose to an army with cavalry.

8 - Take off auto prowl.
Question: Why?
Answer: Suppose you are a werewolf player and that you are attacking an enemy villager's Strong base. You are taking damage, but manage to destroy the entrance walls and break in his base, starting to kill some of his units.
Now if you are a noob (or dumb) player and researched prowl only at level 1 or 2 you will face a serious problem: You are now running low on hp, and needs to escape from the enemy's base as fast as you can, since he has a torch/lanterns on his base, something very common among villagers.
Guess what will happen right now? Yes! you will get FUCKED by your own spell, by a thing called "auto prowl" it will turn on without your control when your hp goes red and will cripple your speed, making you get killed.

That's why when I'm werewolf I never upgrade prowl, I max all the others and only when I'm on a level that I can max the prowl (making it not cripple my speed) I upgrade it.
This unfortunately developed as a problem with sharing the werewolf unit with AI to retain anonymity. The only solution here would be to replace prowl.

I'll use the subject to say that the werewolf player reminds me a lot of a (StarCraft) BroodWar Mod called "Cat and Mouse".
In this game there was usually 7 mice against 1 cat or 6 mice against 2 cats
There was a very serious problem (fun destroying) on this games: In most of them the game is rigged (overpowered) for the mice.
In some cases the balancement problem was so serious that the basic fun the game provided the players was to mock the cats and then sometime, when the mice got tired of pissing/mocking/joking/playing dumb with the cat(s) they finally decided to kill him and end the game.
In other words the game was reduced to a child level of fun and entertainment where even a moron mouse could win the game against the cat.
As you may guess right now, NO ONE wanted to be cat on this games, and on most times they had to random an unfortunate idiot to get be the clown player (cat).

What do you want me to learn from this game?
Ans.: When a player has a lonely game to play against a lot of other players (in werewolf case against all players) you MUST pay VERY special care to balance things out in a way it doesn't get unfair for him, else he will not find your game fun, and will leave.

In my personal opinion WWT is unfair for the wolf, and I'll try to convince you of this right now..
He is indeed a strong unit, but he should get stronger and stronger as the game passes in a way that buying time should be an advantage for the wolf, and the way the game is right now this is not true.

When villagers team up and bunker base it gets even tougher to kill them. Consider one of the worst scenario ever possible on the game: A 4 player base together. The werewolf can't stand a chance to attack that.

The werewolf villager's level is normally a lot lower from other villagers on late game (since he don't have the night time), and that sells him out easily.

Even if you win and break into an enemy's villager base he still has some abilities against you like fish net or dive underwater. I don't believe this abilities are unfair the way they are right now, but this is also one example of an advantage the villager has against the werewolf.

And finally there are always those zombie suckers around to bother you, and if you are a noob werewolf or very unluck to find a team of zombies or 2 or more of them in a row you will have a hard time to stay alive.

Some ideas I could give you to make the werewolf stronger are:
- his villager could earn experience if you kill an unit while under werewolf form.
- his villager could earn gold if you kill an animal while under werewolf form.
- his werewolf could earn bonus speed if the villager has boots of the wolf &/or horn of Valhalla.

I'll look into our options, I agree that werewolf should be stronger but its a constant pendulum. The werewolf or the villager always seems to reign supreme. Little nudges can change the entire dynamic of their relationship so its difficult to truly balance things.
Tonex

Postby Tonex » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:43 am

I shall put only the most important ones here, and most of them you already know, so It's just to remember.. they are in importance order, that means the first is the most important and the last is of lesser importance.

I agree that there needs to be a dedicated siege unit. Trebuchet seems to be answer, but needs to be rebalanced, as iirc it is pretty clunky to use.

I agree, crafting/brewing always needs more.

Sime of the problem should be fixed when mage units don't have direct damage spells, but stuns are still pretty powerful. I don't think the WW should get full magic immune, but maybe 75% spell resistance.

4 - Death Bell life steal aura is too overpowered. I don't know if you ever made some tests on it but take as an example a 1x1 combat between a villager with the death bell (I'll call him Arthas) and another villager without the death bell (I'll call him Bob). The way it is currently set, if they are on level 25, Bob can't even scratch Arthas and I believe its an overpowered advantage (obviously Arthas should win the combat, but come on, Bob not being able to deal any significant damage to Arthas isn't A BIT TOO MUCH!!)

If you're trying to meld a Villager with your own, you're doing something wrong.

Reward wise, professions are in a good place, but I agree that there should be some more features to spice things up, including another type of fishing rod for catching bigger fish, or a pick that can mine faster or has a higher chance of getting gems (if they're ever introduced).

Imo WW does need a siege unit, but I think it should be a basic minion.

Cavalary beats ranged
Ranged beats footman
Footman beats cavalary

The order is always much more complicated since there tend to be many types of units depending on the race or skill of the player. WWT makes it much more simple so that players can understand.
Tonex

Postby Tonex » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:50 am

Other two: Same as Jesse
abextadoo

Postby abextadoo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:09 pm

I just don't like cheese because it is an item useful for early game player killing strategy, wich is obviously a bad strategy to kill the werewolf (since on early game a decent werewolf won't build a base or engage villager combat). Actually this strategy don't kill pro players, but harass them a lot and might deal a serious blow to his (early made, without many defences) base and gameplay, since the villager that plays this kind of game focus on you as a target and keep bothering and messing with you. I'll try to buy warcraft 3 and enter bnet so I can join you on the tests and show you how this kind of villager is a sucker (for killing the werewolf) and a pain in the neck for the other villagers that are doing the correct strategy to kill the werewolf that is building a base and raising an army.