new chat system idea

Post and discuss your suggestions for future Werewolf versions here.
riflemang

new chat system idea

Postby riflemang » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Do you think its a good idea if the message system was changed. For example when you send a message to all, allies, etc the words appear above your villager and not in the chat log. This will cause more suspense and fear among the villagers, who would have to meet with each other to talk.
Insomnia

new chat system idea

Postby Insomnia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:19 am

been suggested, lots of code and whole bunch of other crap was said abou it.

i still like it though
Jesse James

new chat system idea

Postby Jesse James » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:42 pm

It's something we did with ERaR but it does present a lot of problems, mainly frustration in the user not being able to ask for help. In ERaR we had difficulties where easy would let you speak globally, normal required you to get a "radio" item to speak to others who had a radio item, and the higher difficulties required you to be next to eachother. (Though this had the problem of text overlapping eachother)
Tonex

new chat system idea

Postby Tonex » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Maybe it should just cost resources to shout globally, idk
Jakillu

new chat system idea

Postby Jakillu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Just an idea, but why not incorporate a chat system that only allows the villagers to talk to one another? I'm a terrible WWT player, and it may just be me sucking, but I always seem to find myself being ganked by a zombie and a living player. Why not set it up so that only the Villagers and Werewolf can speak, and that Zombies can only communicate with other Zombies. Granted, I'm not sure if this idea is good or bad.
Pwnage

new chat system idea

Postby Pwnage » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:42 am

Jakillu wrote:Just an idea, but why not incorporate a chat system that only allows the villagers to talk to one another? I'm a terrible WWT player, and it may just be me sucking, but I always seem to find myself being ganked by a zombie and a living player. Why not set it up so that only the Villagers and Werewolf can speak, and that Zombies can only communicate with other Zombies. Granted, I'm not sure if this idea is good or bad.
This is an acceptable idea but it poses logical inconsistencies due to how the game is played out.

I'd like to preface this by saying I feel bad for your zombie ganks. Zombies are usually useless unless they power level to 25 first night in order to kill all villagers/Werewolf. As Jesse has mentioned, Zombies aren't supposed to even have an impact in the game. While I disagree with this, I do have to say that they should at least be able to talk with everybody else. If a Zombie really wants to set up a gank with the Werewolf, they usually use private messages anyway. I've had a lot of Zombies join my on my rampage when I was the Werewolf and we communicated exclusively through private chat. Getting rid of private chat, however, would eliminate many problems. Players can still communicate through Battle.net, unfortunately.

If we were to change something with the chat, I'd rather see it disappear all together so people don't say "THIS IS MY BASE", "WHY DID YOU KILL ME", "BLUE IS THE WEREWOLF AND HE BASED AT WATERFALL" etc... It would allow for the game to play out as it should. Another interesting thing that I've ran into with some games people have been hosting was a new element of neutrality that they added to the game. Upon entering the game, the hosts would tell everybody to make their names blank and change their colors to black. In this case, whenever somebody is speaking, players are unable to distinguish each other and even if a new wolf is seen transforming, they have some safety because everybody is Spartacus.

Seeing restricted communication would be very cool but I do enjoy the idea of total neutrality. Perhaps there could be a command that players can vote on to play a game in "Neutral Mode" with blank (or one predetermined name) and the same color (of course -name and -(color) would have to be blocked in this mode). Of course, this is all fantasy though as we will probably never see a new update <\3
Last edited by Pwnage on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pwnage.@USEast