Am I the only one feeling this game is unfair and not fun for the werewolf?

Discuss Werewolf - Transylvania strategy, map and more.
abextadoo

Am I the only one feeling this game is unfair and not fun for the werewolf?

Postby abextadoo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:33 pm

1 - too much food, vilagers armies are too big.
2 - fish net takes forever to end.
3 - minions are weak. Bosses minions are weak too.
4 - (If) you get level 25 you are still weak. Basicaly you are mocked the entire game by vilagers in their bunker bases saying werewolf dont atack.

In my opinion this game is unfair and not fun for the werewolf. Pls do something. 99% of the games I played had one thing in comon: werewolf lost.
Naufon

Re: Am I the only one feeling this game is unfair and not fun for the werewolf?

Postby Naufon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:11 am

I am forced to agree but if the werewolf gets a power-up, villagers will just rage quit and never play again.

Werewolf being weak = boring game

Werewolf being balanced = Still a boring game because there isn't enough hostility towards villagers (If I sit in my base, it is very unlikely I will get attacked by the werewolf. If I go out during moonlight to hunt or do something, I still don't come across the werewolf lmao. This happens in like every game that I play and I am starting to get really bored of it.)

Werewolf being strong = rage quitters and potential players who will never play the game again

As I said before, there isn't enough hostility in this game. There needs to be 1 more enemy mascot such as a randomly selected vampire or when the werewolf kills someone, a lesser werewolf will spawn for the player who was killed and will act as a minion for the alpha werewolf.

The hostile activity needs to increase as the game prolongs and an example of this would be the map Parasite 2.

There is also the problem that a single villager unit can easily kill the werewolf out of being a higher level with more stats.
Falanor

Postby Falanor » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:16 pm

We are trying to balance the game and right now, if we look at statistics, we will see that games where wolf wins are quite rare.

Funny thing is that statistics is actually tricking us. I'll try to explain why.

Huge role in this entire fair/not_fair environment is driven by players experience; we need to include those into calculation.

For example, imagine that we have an ideally balanced Werewolf Transylvania game with one experienced player who wins 100% of games (as both villager and wolf) and all others are “average” players, how many times do you think he will get to play as werewolf? If he joins 8 full house games this number will be close to 1/8 = 12.5%. We have 7 villager's wins and 1 werewolf's. It’s a math trick.

If the same player has opportunity to play half of his games by wolf, we will have 4 ww wins and 4 villager’s. I know it’s all very hypothetical, I’m just trying to explain that you can twist statistics in any way you want really. Funny thing that it is actually quite reliable in all those cases, you just have to be careful with it. We are simply looking from different angles.

One of main reasons why we have so low win rate for werewolf is because it’s much less chance for an experienced player to get ww role. Yet a situation with a "newbie" becoming a werewolf may be destructive, while if he is a villager, we don’t have such an impact.

What I'm trying to say that first we need to make some system that will help us select werewolf in a more intelligent way.
We are discussing some of such ways here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=813
Naufon

Postby Naufon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:53 pm

What you guys could do is make the bot count how many win/lose or how many games a player has played, which will increase his chance of being the werewolf. But this would only apply to the werewolf bot probably.

Another route of counting this is on their own computer, (I believe this is how wc3's save/load works)

Most players aren't too experienced to begin with from my perspective. Very rarely there would be a good player.

My opinion still stands though in that a monster tag addition or a vampire addition to the werewolf would make things more hostile, fun, and balanced.