Please Explain This Error!

This is a forum where you can ask our code monkeys for assistance. Questions on technical help belong here.
xNS

Postby xNS » Sun May 09, 2010 7:33 pm

I get this mid-game in The Frozen Throne. When I get it my game just closed completely and the error message pops up.
Steaks

Postby Steaks » Sun May 09, 2010 7:40 pm

I sometimes get that or something very similar when playing tree tag. What were you doing when it happened?
xNS

Postby xNS » Sun May 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Just playing custom matches. The most recent map has been Footies. But there is no pattern with the maps.
duckne55

Postby duckne55 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:23 am

regular error when the map is not coded properly (or has glitchy stuff). move along, old news.
xNS

Postby xNS » Mon May 10, 2010 8:56 am

Ok thanks. I just never researched it and it stopped for a while so I wasn't sure if it was me or the game.
Jesse James

Postby Jesse James » Mon May 10, 2010 11:43 am

There are generally 2 categories of crashes for maps.

With Error Report
Generally these errors are the hardest to understand, as far as i am aware the number designation gives little to no clue as to what actually happened. Anything ranging from a corrupted import, invalid unit upgrade, all the way to a poor coding and everything in between.

Without Error Report
This is almost always because the creator of the map has created an infinite loop. An infinite loop is when two functions continue to call on each other, or a function calls upon itself without a small pause in between the calls.

An example of this would be detecting when a unit enters the map, and then creating a unit. Because your creating a unit, it would detect another unit entering the map and continue creating units for eternity. WC3 stops this disaster by shutting down immediately.
xNS

Postby xNS » Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Haha Jesse you just took me back to my first computer science class :P But thanks for the explanation.