My own map

This is a forum where you can ask our code monkeys for assistance. Questions on technical help belong here.
Exile

My own map

Postby Exile » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:14 pm

I've been trying to make a map sort of like WWT because its such a big insperation.

The problems I've been running into though is that I want to base it sort of off WWT but I don't want to steal anything theme related.

Any help/suggestions/tips here?
Jesse James

My own map

Postby Jesse James » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 pm

The problem with inspiration is that it often leads to duplication.

Not always a bad thing, but when you try to compete with a similar map it can be hard to come up with original ideas. I would suggest coming up with an entirely unique concept! It may be hard to believe but there is a lot of unexplored territory still out there.
Insomnia

My own map

Postby Insomnia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:29 am

this is true, times liek this i wish i had tme to learn the ins and outs for wc3 maps, but i dont even have the tiem to continue C++
and here i thought my idea was great, lol
Exile

My own map

Postby Exile » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Now that I think of it I have another idea I had been expirimenting with.

I was thinking of a form of Siege like map, where two teams go against eachother and see who wins sort of thing.

My view of the map was that two players with a strong base with strong units and structures go against lets say... six other [players that have weaker units but far larger numbers. The team of two, start with a well built base and a small standing army. The other team, start with a smaller base and a larger army.

The units I was thinking on was that the larger team would need a 4-1 advantage to level the playing field with the smaller team, witch they will have and then some. For the smaller team's units would take longer to build but would be harder to kill and mroe exspencive. And that they would also have several advatages, like their archers have slightly longer range, and better armament, their frontline troops would have heavier armor and stronger weapons.

The larger team though would have cheaper units that require less build time, but have weaker armor, weapons, and less range for arhcers and the like.

And I was thinking that as the game goes along and the smaller team looses bases the larger team gains bases, and vise versa.

For basic unit production and the like I was thinking of leaving that to the AI while the human players use their own heroes. Somewhat like Hero Siege.

The two for the smaller team would have stronger heroes, but a longer revive time while the larger team would have weaker heroes with short revive times.

I'm thinking of mroe as I go along but this is all I have on it so far.
B2zeldafreak

My own map

Postby B2zeldafreak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Exile wrote:Now that I think of it I have another idea I had been expirimenting with.

I was thinking of a form of Siege like map, where two teams go against eachother and see who wins sort of thing.

My view of the map was that two players with a strong base with strong units and structures go against lets say... six other [players that have weaker units but far larger numbers. The team of two, start with a well built base and a small standing army. The other team, start with a smaller base and a larger army.

The units I was thinking on was that the larger team would need a 4-1 advantage to level the playing field with the smaller team, witch they will have and then some. For the smaller team's units would take longer to build but would be harder to kill and mroe exspencive. And that they would also have several advatages, like their archers have slightly longer range, and better armament, their frontline troops would have heavier armor and stronger weapons.

The larger team though would have cheaper units that require less build time, but have weaker armor, weapons, and less range for arhcers and the like.

And I was thinking that as the game goes along and the smaller team looses bases the larger team gains bases, and vise versa.

For basic unit production and the like I was thinking of leaving that to the AI while the human players use their own heroes. Somewhat like Hero Siege.

The two for the smaller team would have stronger heroes, but a longer revive time while the larger team would have weaker heroes with short revive times.

I'm thinking of mroe as I go along but this is all I have on it so far.
Sound's like a D-Day/Helm's Deep type map.

If it's well made (and I'm sure it will be) I think it would be a hit.
Insomnia

My own map

Postby Insomnia » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:15 pm

i thought zerg vs protoss, lol
Exile

My own map

Postby Exile » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Could I get any help? I'm no good with triggers or general map making.
B2zeldafreak

My own map

Postby B2zeldafreak » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm not that good with mapmaking either, but we'll be able to better help you if you have specific questions. If you don't have anything specific your best bet is to look up a tutorial.
Exile

My own map

Postby Exile » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Good point XD