Selection Bug

This is a forum where you can ask our code monkeys for assistance. Questions on technical help belong here.
Jesse James

Selection Bug

Postby Jesse James » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:19 pm

In vampire hunter i am sure many of you have encountered a problem where your hero suddenly becomes unresponsive. The only solution is to click on another unit, and then click back on your hero.

This happens frequently, and is plaguing the next beta test. I have no idea what causes this problem, but i have experienced it in other games (Mostly older games).

If you have any idea's or know whats wrong let me know! I've run out of patients for this particular problem!
Insomnia

Selection Bug

Postby Insomnia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:46 am

What is the current release?
i have 1.2
Romek

Selection Bug

Postby Romek » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:46 am

How exactly does a hero become unresponsive?
Could you somehow recreate the bug? Or upload a map or a demo map with the bug in it?

Perhaps I'll play the map myself and see if I encounter it myself later. :P
duckne55

Selection Bug

Postby duckne55 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:45 am

i have encountered this in maps like Defiance and Survival, mostly save load maps.
if im not mistaken it was discovered that it can be solved by a polymorph of the unit, especially when reselecting the hero does not work. no clues as to the cause however, although it did occur mostly on circles of power and when ppl are saving/loading.

P.S, can you post a code where i can type -unstuck and the unit (my units only) that im clicking on will polymorph for 0.01 seconds? if im hijacking this thread i will go make a new one...
Insomnia

Selection Bug

Postby Insomnia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:07 am

so just trigger a quick 0.1sec poly-morph that keeps the same model would fix this.
not that i knwo much about map making, logical thinking is my type of programing, well 1/2 is.
Jesse James

Selection Bug

Postby Jesse James » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Romek wrote:How exactly does a hero become unresponsive?
Could you somehow recreate the bug? Or upload a map or a demo map with the bug in it?

Perhaps I'll play the map myself and see if I encounter it myself later. :P
You have your hero selected
But if you click buttons, or right click to move or attack, it'll show the indicator and the icon will click, but nothing will happen.

If you play the game a few times you should experience it. It's the major hold up on the release of the next version, because it's a big problem.
duckne55

Selection Bug

Postby duckne55 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:32 pm

if it happens that much its probably something with your code.
I'll try to google something.
Dylan1473

Selection Bug

Postby Dylan1473 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Do you have any code that related in any way to unit selection? Not just heroes. Anything with a unit selection event...you would be surprised at the weird glitches that can happen from a seemingly unrelated piece of code. I've seen a similar problem in Zerg Infestation a couple of times, and (possibly in no way related to this) hero selection is done by selection there.

Also, does it occur WHILE you have your hero selected or WHEN you select your hero?
Last edited by Dylan1473 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse James

Selection Bug

Postby Jesse James » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:35 pm

Dylan1473 wrote:Do you have any code that related in any way to unit selection? Not just heroes. Anything with a unit selection event...you would be surprised at the weird glitches that can happen from a seemingly unrelated piece of code. I've seen a similar problem in Zerg Infestation a couple of times, and (possibly in no way related to this) hero selection is done by selection there.

Also, does it occur WHILE you have your hero selected or WHEN you select your hero?
It happens while you are selecting your hero.

I only use one deselection action, for the knights "charge" ability.

This seems to happen even when the knight isn't being played, so i eliminated it as a possibility.
Dylan1473

Selection Bug

Postby Dylan1473 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Have you tried disabling that trigger temporarily and checking? I was thinking a trigger with another selection event might be messing with stuff it shouldn't be somehow. That's the only thing I can think of, otherwise it might be a Warcraft III glitch (I have seen it happen in a couple of other maps, though Zerg Infestation is the only one I can remember for sure) and I doubt there's a lot you can do about that.
Last edited by Dylan1473 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.