Made 2 maps that are like Werewolf Transylvania

Off-Topic conversations, forum games, fun topics and pretty much anything else that doesn't fit into any other forum.
Naufon

Made 2 maps that are like Werewolf Transylvania

Postby Naufon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:58 pm

I made 2 maps that are both like Werewolf Transylvania, but both fail in my opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Map: Vampire Transylvania

Epicwar link: http://www.epicwar.com/maps/272065/

Type: Base building, army building, jobs, hero leveling

Time Spent: I created this map in about 3 weeks-ish.

This map is basically a combination of 3 maps that I love to play: Dark Deeds, Parasite 2, and Werewolf Transylvania. However, mixing so many gameplay mechanics/elements from other maps into one map, I found to be very bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Map: Dark Deeds Ultimate (Temporary name. I was gonna call this map "Evil Within")

Epicwar link: http://www.epicwar.com/maps/272063/

Type: Base building, army building, hero leveling

Time Spent: I created this map in 2 days

This map is a combination of Dark Deeds and Werewolf Transylvania. I felt like this map is too much like Werewolf Transylvania, and I was basically copying/pasting which I didn't want to do. This map would also get out-competed against.

Third Map: Werebeast

An idea for a map that I had, where 1 person is randomly selected as either a werewolf, werebear, werelizard, etc. I never made this map because I felt like in the end, it would resemble other maps too much and it would get out-competed against.

At the moment, I have thoughts of making a non-base building "Who is the (insert)". The gameplay would be primarily on leveling your hero and finding out who the vampire/killer/etc is. I don't know if I will actually make this.

Both maps above (vamp trans and dark deeds ult) have bugs/issues and I am aware but likely won't be making updates.

Anyway, I have been trying to make a good map that people would enjoy and host, but honestly that is pretty difficult nowadays. I love doing "Who is the (insert here)?" maps, but most if not all of them have been done already.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions for a "Who is the (insert here)?", I would love to hear about them.
Jesse James

Re: Made 2 maps that are like Werewolf Transylvania

Postby Jesse James » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:00 am

I always thought it would be cool to see a masquerade ball combined with a murder mystery. You'd get to run around a spooky mansion with lots of trap doors and hidden passages. All the time avoiding being a victim and trying to find enough evidence to "out" the murderer.
Naufon

Postby Naufon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:19 am

That would be interesting. There would have to be element(s) of replayability otherwise the map won't survive for long / it will get boring. How would you go about making a murder mystery have replayability?

I can't imagine a mansion murder mystery game to be about building structures/armies. So that's kind of out of the question. The game I feel would be an exploration type of game to find evidence as well as trying to not get killed.
Jesse James

Postby Jesse James » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:25 pm

It would take a fair bit of coding but you could randomize the castle. Locations, rooms, secret passages, items in rooms, even decorations could all be randomized. Who did it, why they did it and how they did it can all also be randomized. There are enough models in the wc3 community that every game could be unique outside of the core mechanic of finding out "whodunnit".