SC2 Pay to play maps.

Off-Topic conversations, forum games, fun topics and pretty much anything else that doesn't fit into any other forum.
B2zeldafreak

SC2 Pay to play maps.

Postby B2zeldafreak » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:51 pm

StarCraft has long supposed a strong competitive community, but back in the day it was also known for its excellent user-created maps. Blizzard aims to continue that tradition, announcing during their Battle.net BlizzCon panel that StarCraft II will support premium maps.

According to Videogaming247, Blizzard likens the new system to the iPhone App store, with StarCraft II offering both premium and free maps. For the premium maps, they hope that small teams of developers will come together to create complex maps, or even new game types, with the reward being cold hard cash.

Blizzard didn't say how big a cut they would be taking from the proceedings, but they did say that designers will be able to set their own price tags.

No doubt we'll know more closer to StarCraft II's release date in 2010.

Quoted from http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175717...

What do you guys think of paying for User made maps?

My opinion is that if its anything like Warcraft 3 then Community > Cash, and hopefully most mapmakers will continue to make maps as a hobby as opposed to trying to charge for every custom map.

I predict that at the beginning there will be a price for most maps, and the prices will be high, followed by a crash in prices when relatively few people are willing to pay for maps.

Overall I think the best thing to do would be if Dev teams (like VoF) offered a 1 time fee to access all (or several) of their more popular maps. (For the makers who insist on charging)
Jesse James

SC2 Pay to play maps.

Postby Jesse James » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:44 pm

The quality of maps that can be pay-for-play will be significantly greater than anything we have on wc3 right now. It will be interesting to see what happens, but i have a hunch it wont work out the way it was intended.
Insomnia

SC2 Pay to play maps.

Postby Insomnia » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:06 pm

wont be playing sc2 but from my time in wc3 there are about 3 maps which i would pay for.

name - why
gaia's ORPG - like 10% complete and its so full.
enfo's - The hours ive sent playing this map.. single and multiplayer
dota - it may not be my first choise for a map to play, but the community behind this map is great!, mostly
duckne55

SC2 Pay to play maps.

Postby duckne55 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 am

I doubt any one will pay to play any maps, except those rich ppl who play WoW.
Azrooh

SC2 Pay to play maps.

Postby Azrooh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Uhh. So you buy the map, you own the file. What's to stop you from giving it to everybody for free after that?
Would they store all your maps on a database or something? It would be a bit costly for them to hold THAT many terabytes of data if B.Net is free.
Steaks

SC2 Pay to play maps.

Postby Steaks » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:23 pm

I don't see anyone paying for the maps, even if they are really good. Most maps are only good if you have lots of people playing with you and I don't think you would be able to play regularly since there would be too few people if everyone has to pay.